For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Saturday, December 29, 2012

More snow and friendship

This has been the snow week.  Heather, Stan, Max, and Joshua left this morning before 8:00 so that they could drive most of the way back to New York in favorable driving conditions.  A quick moving storm from the Ohio Valley was poised to hit New England in the late morning.  They left so early that they forgot to take any portion of the double batch of Nanaimo bars, leaving two pans in the fridge.  Good for our taste buds, bad for the waist line.

It was also too early for lots of parting photos.  But I managed to snap a couple before they left.




Even though they left, I didn't break the tea date with Susan Shannon.  We had a sweet visit that included show and tell photos of Matt's new house and lots of grandson pictures.  It would have felt weird to be here a whole week and not see Susan and catch up.  And the same with Miriam who came over yesterday.  It is important to sneak in adult conversation when we can.

Around 11:00 Amy and I went on a walk down the road.  The snow had started, but we were determined to get a bit of exercise while our boys were off snowboarding (hers) and skiing (mine) with Robert and Jero.  (Robert had gotten Selim skies at the school swap and last night adjusted the bindings to fit.)  Turns out the place they went wasn't open, despite the website indicating that they were open on weekends. It was Saturday morning...fresh snow on the ground...and they were closed.  But they did let the guys walk up the bunny slopes and ski/board down.  After a few runs, the little guys got cold and they came back.  We had turned around at Pine Stump Rd and were headed up Osgood Road when they passed us.




I am so fortunate to have lady friends of long standing.  We don't talk every day or even every week.  But when we do get together, conversation is easy, life affirming, informative, thought provoking, and fun (not to mention a pressure release valve for me).  In crisis they are there for me and my family.  In good times we share laughter and insight and silliness.  Sometimes I am amazed that I lucked out in these friendships because I have a hard time making friends.  I'm not very good at developing new relationships and I really count on the ones that I have.  I am so lucky to be able to share my life and learn about theirs.  My life is enriched by their company.

Today on our walk Amy asked me what I would consider Selim's passion.  What a great question!  I answered with creativity.  He loves Lego's and modifying his creations.  He speaks in rapture about new art sets / boxes.  A new tub of crayons or markers is a treasure.  A trip to the craft shop is a grand adventure.  I wish that I could draw better and enjoyed that activity more.  I like sewing and playing with fabric and pattern in cloth and other textiles.  I wish I were more crafty and relished craft type projects that we could do together.  But I think the creative process and accompanying tools of the trade get him going like nothing else.

On the way back up the hill we were discussing what are the characteristics of good leadership in kids. To my way of thinking, it is more than Selim getting other children to do what he wants.  There are components of organization, vision, persuasion, kindness, listening and taking the emotional pulse of the group that make up his leadership style.  It was a great conversation and got me thinking about specifics in a way in which I had not done before.  I was revved when I got back to the house.  And sweaty.  The last up hill mile is a killer.

So cheers to friendships!  May we enjoy many more years of our interwoven lives together!

No comments:

Post a Comment