For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Christmas decorations

I took off early tonight.  Nedim has mouth pain from the dentist today and I wanted to make sure that he was OK.  While he is sleeping, I thought I would post a few pictures of holiday decorations.  I would rather be baking or wrapping presents, but I don't want to make noise.

While in Charleston, I saw some houses with pretty festive displays.







Why have only one wreath when you can have six?




This house was something else.  I don't think I have ever seen Santa-ish pigs before as full-on greeters.





I loved the dog statue at the fire station.



When I got home, we got our tree.  Selim and I had fun decorating the tree.  He has a thing for birds, so we have lots of cardinals.





And this year we picked up a mommy loon with baby on her back at a gift shop in Maine.



I've been baking cookies like a mad woman.  I have 5 dozen almond jewels,  6 dozen mint chocolate crinkles, 3 dozen each cranberry-orange and citrus glazed cookies, tons of gingerbread roll-out cookies, a batch of totally delicious cranberry pistachio biscotti and a tasty but not perfectly formed mocha hazelnut biscotti.  I still need a coolie press kind and something else spicy like a cardamon shortbread.  Heather is making gingersnaps and Nanaimo bars.




This year I'm also trying to make truffles.  I have a batch of chocolate mint partially made.  And then I bought a bag of green mint chocolate chips that I need to find a recipe for.

Since I've spent so much time in the kitchen, I lost track of the other necessities -- like getting the boxes sent off to California and Toronto.  That is on tap for tomorrow.  And beading Selim's name on top of his stocking.  I'll get to that this weekend, Inshallah.

1 comment:

  1. hey, there! I didn't know you had a blog! So glad you commented. Will add you to my blogroll, one of these days.

    ReplyDelete