For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Friday, April 19, 2013

Boston in lockdown

Boston is in lock down right now and police are on manhunt for one of the bombing suspects. People are being asked not to go outdoors.  I watched the news for a few minutes this morning before bed at 12:30 and all the Boston channels were carrying live coverage of the search for the shooter of a MIT security guard.  When I woke up six hours later, the story had developed that one of the suspects of the bombing at the Boston Marathon was dead and they were looking for the brother.  They are still looking for him.

Public transportation is grounded.  Governor Patrick has requested that businesses close.  The pictures on twitter of empty streets in Cambridge are eerie.  The suspects made their home in Watertown, just outside Cambridge.  Selim Kortoglu's family (the man in whose memory we named our Selim)  lives there.  We haven't been back in a while, but I am somewhat familiar with a few sections of that suburb.  I can't wrap my mind around any of it.  

I don't know what impact this will have on the ongoing immigration debate, or religious tolerance.  According to reports, they were Muslim.  The combination of non-American born and Muslim associated with a domestic terror event might have long lasting consequences.  I expect the hidden pools of anger and prejudice left over from 9/11 will bubble up as this current drama unfolds.  All of it makes me sad.

To counterbalance all the ugliness of the past few days, I have been taking an inordinate amount of pleasure in my daffodils and the daily morning routine.  Yesterday there were three flowers bobbing in the breeze.




Today, there are five!




And what could be more sweet than my Lovey Lamb at the bus stop -- wearing his bike gloves and showing off his dance moves.



At one point he got down on a knee and gave us the Tebow pose yesterday.  I'm not a big Tebow fan or detractor...I'm pretty indifferent.  So where that came from, I'm not sure.



I come by wearing sandals in 40 degree weather honestly.  I may be clad in fleece pants and a jacket, but if the ground is frost free, hey, I'm staying true to my early So Cal roots and showing off my toe nails.



No comments:

Post a Comment