For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Signs of Spring?

We haven't been experiencing the warmest spring on record.  But we have had a few days of warm weather.  Wednesday night it rained.  Driving back home there were so many worms on the street that I could see them glisten in the glare of my headlights.  Walking out of the house on Thursday morning to take Selim to the bus, we had to tread carefully.  The driveway and street had turned into a worm festival/rave/party/extravaganza.  I've never seen so many worms stretched out on pavement before.  It was kind of icky.




However, there were other signs of spring.  The tete-a-tete bloomed.



And the hyacinth that escaped the repaving of the driveway last fall also begun to flower.




The daffodils are getting ready to pop.



What is the saying about New England weather?  If you don't like it, just wait a minute because it will change?  Anyway, right before I left to go to work the next day, I looked out the window and saw ice on my car.  Really?



Today Selim and I went to the  Durham playground.  I wore jeans, long sleeves, vest, jacket...and sandals.  I'm sick of socks.  I want warmth.  There were a few moments when the sun came out that my toes weren't cold.  But mostly I tried to ignore my foolish decision.

Selim had fun.  One of his classmates and another second grade boy from his school were there.  They had fun playing underwater divers and space guys.






Since I brought my camera, I kept interrupting the play and saying, "Selim, look at me."




Or, "Can you just hold that for a minute?"




"Turn your shoulder and look back at me."



"Stay right there!"




After a while, we went down to the water and the boys threw rocks in and watched the ripples and splash.  It was nice for me to be able to talk with the other moms.  Even though it wasn't warm, it was a good day.




No comments:

Post a Comment