For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Monday, April 8, 2013

Rough week

Last week was pretty rough.  I felt tired.  I experienced conflict at work that took a while for me to process and then address.  I realized that I had gained almost all the weight back that I had lost last year since I didn't exercise all winter.  It was just cruddy.

But today seemed more hopeful.  I shaved 2 minutes off my time for the 2.5 mile loop that I'm back to running.  I wore short sleeves and sandals.  In the afternoon it was warm enough to open the windows.  I managed to put in three hours of overtime in the morning and still get some chores done before I met Selim at the bus.  I bought gas for $3.34 a gallon.  We are getting a tax refund this year.  Driving across Route 4 last night, the little nursery in Northwood was selling kale plants.  Selim was sleeping so I didn't stop.  But maybe tomorrow I will plant the seeds that I ordered a couple of months ago.

In the news today, Margaret Thatcher died today.  There are things that I remember about her leadership, but listening to the commentary this morning was very interesting and added perspective.  Another death at the end of last week took place in Afghanistan.  A convoy was hit and a 25 year old Foreign Service Officer was killed along with servicemen and a doctor.  I've caught a glimpse of the Foreign Service world and I think the people who pass the test and then serve are so brave.  I was reading reactions on various blogs about Anne Smedinghoff's death and was reminded a new that it isn't only the military who risk their lives to further the interests of our great country.  She was only 25.  There are lots of people writing about it, here are a few perpectives from Jordanfrom EstoniaSanto DomingoAnkaraand this one (be sure to read the comments on that one) on her death.  

Tonight is the NCAA Men's basketball championship -- Louisville versus Michigan.  And tomorrow is the ladies game -- Louisville and Connecticut.  In sports, this is the week that makes me crazy because of the deification of Augusta and The Masters.  I enjoy watching the golf, but hate the reverence.  And the Boston Red Sox are on top of the American League East, nine days into the season.

Because posts need some photos, here are a few from the bus stop at the end of March.  He was giving me lessons on how to throw a football.







No comments:

Post a Comment