For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Daily changes

I ran yesterday after I saw Selim on the school bus.  My heart was heavy, but as I ran my body felt lighter.  My stride found a rhythm that seemed to be pretty fluid.  I let my thoughts drift from work to the Marathon, from all the items on my to-do list and imagining my soon to be thriving garden.  Soon enough I reached the junction of Salem and Applevale -- sweaty, breathing hard, and resolved to keep at it.  Reverting to my words of the year, acceptance and action.



This morning I decided to run again, my first back to back days since last year.  Time was not my goal, but rather to finish strong.  The first two miles felt like a chore.  Just before mile two my breathing was less labored and my pace had picked up.  Like a golfer who doesn't scoreboard watch, I forced myself not to look at my watch during the run and was pleasantly surprised to see that I wasn't too far off yesterday's pace when I finished.  And upon completion of my route today, I have run more miles this April than January, February, and March combined.  That is a victory and a sign that I am on the right track.



Today is gorgeous.  When I opened up the curtains, there was a purple finch sitting at the feeder.



We had a mild night and there are subtle changes out.  Two of the daffodil blooms popped this morning.




The buds on the mystery plants are turning pink.  Nedim understood the farmer who gave him the saplings that they were cherry.  I'm not sure about that.  They are pretty and pink none the less.



Are these primroses?  I can't remember, but their white faces are wide open to the sun and looking happy.



And another sign of warmer weather -- my laundry on the line.


No comments:

Post a Comment