For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Feeling the VT chill

While my siblings are enjoying the So. Cal warmth, I'm in northern VT where I awoke to find the temp -15.  That is actual air temperature, people.  Not wind chill enhanced, if that word applies to below zero.



Monday my Lovey Lamb had a delay because half the bus fleet wouldn't start and the wind chill factor made the air feel like -22.  When it is that cold, it is too dangerous for kids to be standing outside waiting for the buses to arrive.  The air was -1 or -2 and the wind was fierce.  The upside of the delay -- I got to spend two more hours with my guy and I drove him to school.  That prolonged our time together.



After dropping him off, I went back home, packed, unloaded the dishwasher and folded the remaining load of laundry.  I didn't manage to vacuum, but that was the only chore still on my list.  When I went to the office to pick up the car, it was where I left it, in the back, covered in snow.  Nobody had moved it or cleared it off after the blizzard.  Sigh.

We didn't get as much snow as folks right along the seacoast on Sunday.  We got enough for the pile in our front yard to expand from this high:



to this:



I tried getting pictures in front of the mountain, but didn't have much success.  The sun got in our way.  A selfie-stick would have been convenient.




We have had impressive icicles to boot.




Back to my road trip: on my way up to the hotel, I stopped for lunch at the King Arthur Shop/Baking School/Cafe.  I can't believe that I lived in Norwich from 1992-1993 and I never knew it was there.  I mean, I lived less than 2 miles away.  Upon reflection, I'm sure it is a good thing I was focused on my studies or just too oblivious to notice.



But back to the facility.  I picked up the last sandwich in their "grab and go" cooler.  Good thing it was vegetarian, brie and apple because my tummy was growling.  The chicken salad, turkey, ham -- all the meat options were taken.  I lucked out.



Then I popped into their retail store.  Oh my, I could have done serious damage to my wallet.  I bought a 3-pound bag of "European-style" flour,  two different kinds of yeast, bread bags and dough rising buckets.  I decided to forgo the tourist mugs, lemon doughnut sugar, mini doughnut pans, flour canisters, bread baking cookbooks, scone mixes, and baskets for bread rising.  I could have purchased a stiff dough scraper and that wouldn't have been broken the bank.  I didn't see it in the store, only in the catalog when I got to the hotel.
 
So this is my last week away from home for a long time, I hope.  I haven't signed up for any other classes or temporary assignments away from the office.  While I am happy to be here and learning the ins and outs of a small agency, I really miss my family.  I am ready to be home.


No comments:

Post a Comment