For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Ocean Freedom, Istanbul

Last week, a Turkish ship pulled into the docks at Portsmouth.  I was in VT and didn't get the story first hand, but somehow, my hubby talked himself through security and onto the ship.  The owner of the ship may or may not be a "cousin" from the family village.  I don't know the exact details and I'm sure if I asked...it wouldn't be a totally accurate rendition.  He has spent all of his free hours there since.  And today, I got a tour of the ship and a glimpse into my hubby's past.  The ship's name "Ocean Freedom" is a complete match to my hubby's whole being.  He feels completely free when he is on the water.  I'm sure there is a part of him that wishes this was still a part of his life.

Today, I left work and headed right into town. Due to the cold weather, there weren't many folks out and about and I found a parking spot three slots away from the road.  Hubby had taken our Lovey Lamb there earlier in the day and now it was my turn to be parent on duty.  The boys were at the back of the ship, when I approached.




The ladder going up to the deck was really steep.  I didn't get a picture, as it took all my concentration to hold on to the metal poles and plastic tubing hand rails.  When I got to the top, I had a great view.

Emptying salt from the ship

Salt Mountains: loading trucks

The view from the back: Portsmouth tug boats

I got a tour and everybody was so nice.  I got to see the Captain's room




and the kitchen.

Chef and server.

We walked up four or five flights of stairs to the bridge.  I met the fourth captain



and the master captain.



He took our picture and allowed me to wander around taking other pictures.






Life boat

At the Captain's wheel

My hubby was completely in his element.  I'm not sure how many months or years he spent on ships just like this one, going from port to port, making welding repairs as they went.  He has been to New Zealand, Australia, Brazil, Chile, through the Panama Canal three times, Eastern US ports, Greece, and more.  This was his life when he was 15 or 16.  And I got to see that little bit of him, with his boyish, totally relaxed smile as he showed me around.  I never expected to be able to share any part of that life -- but today, I got to spend a few minutes in his comfort zone.  I loved it.  And my little guy had a fun day with his dad as well.  Everybody will be a little to a lot sad when the ship leaves and goes back to sea on Friday.


No comments:

Post a Comment