For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Friday, January 6, 2012

I'll take it

At work today I was chatting with a couple of my team mates about how old is an "older woman."  Is it when you start dying your hair?  Become a grandmother?  Go through menopause?  I told them of the incident in 2007 when somebody asked me if Selim was my grandson and how shocked I was.  One of my team mates looked at me with a funny expression on her face and asked me how anybody could have imagined Selim as my grandchild, since I am only in my 30's.  As if!  I said thank you!  I'll take it.

Speaking of dying my hair, I've been thinking about it.  Last night Selim and I were buying nail clippers at the pharmacy and I did a slow walk through the hair product aisle.  Since I'm growing it back out again for Nedim's sake, I think I'm looking really old and gray.  So when somebody tells me that they color their hair at home, I ask them their favorite product.  I'm keeping a mental tally.  I don't know if I am brave enough to do it on my own, but I don't feel like paying for a professional to do it for me.

In other news, Tuesday is Primary Day, thank goodness.  I'm so sick of the political ads on television.  I love politics and the process, but all the ads are awful.  I am completely decided in my choice; I do not need any help in making up my mind.  The derogatory, inflammatory, outrageous, hypocritical, race-baiting, untruthful, bizarre and PAC driven 15 and 30 second spots are insulting to intelligent people. Although I haven't seen the Ron Paul add personally, I've heard about it and how it uses Huntsman's adopted Chinese daughter as political fodder-- and that is unconscionable.  I can't stand it.  I'm so happy that after Tuesday, they will disappear until our neighboring states go through their own process.

And lastly, the weather is just weird.  We had a snowfall in October and almost none since.  We got an inch today, but it melted by noon.  This is January in New England and we don't have snow.  I'm reduced to looking at my pictures from last year to get my snow fix.  This bare ground feels unnatural and down right wrong.  My shovel-boy is not happy about the lack of white stuff.  He is ready for some serious shovel action.

No comments:

Post a Comment