For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sports Sunday

There is something incongruous about watching my seven year old in red and white striped pajamas with a penguin wearing a blue scarf and ear muffs -- talk about needing the whole family on the couch to watch the football game.  He should be wearing sweats and a Patriots jersey instead of cutie-pie sleep wear.

Today is all about football.  This morning the news broke that Joe Paterno died.  I feel for his family and for all the football players whose lives he touched in a positive way.  But the revengeful part of my nature feels that in death, he gets away with not answering the questions about the boys whose lives he did not protect by letting his assistant coach remain on campus, even after the alleged sexual misconduct.  Not very high minded of me, I know.

The good football news is that the New England Patriots are going back to the Super Bowl!  The game was really exciting and too close for comfort.  When the Patriots had to kick the ball away at the two minute warning only up by three points, I couldn't sit on the couch and watch anymore.  I went into the kitchen and washed the dishes.  Nedim and Selim were yelling to me to get back on the couch, but I was too anxious.  Instead, I heard the Ravens field goal kick miss the uprights.  I turned around to watch the replay.  With 11 seconds left on the clock, Brady only had to take one snap to get the victory.

It is sweet and frustrating to watch football with my hubby.  He didn't grow up with the game.  After 25 years in this country, he still does not know the rules or how the game is structured.  So during a play where I'm yelling because I'm excited or aggravated, he is yelling, "What?  What is going on?"  Argggghhhh.  If the game is of any importance, he is more concerned with the score at the end of each quarter than the actual game because of playing the numbers.  So we watch with a different goal in mind.  Tonight, I don't think he won any money, but he was still happy with the result.

The SF 49ers and NY Giants game is on now.  SF has the early lead.  I know that SF is the better team, but I want them to win.  I don't want the rematch of the Super Bowl from a few years ago when the Patriots lost to the Giants.  I'm not sure I will be awake for the end of this game.  Or I might have tuned into coverage of the Australian Open.  I couldn't sleep Saturday morning and turned on the tennis to see Lleyton Hewitt play Milos (?) Raonic.  It was great tennis and vintage Hewitt.  I really enjoyed that match and was so happy to Hewitt to pull it out in four sets.  He hadn't expected to make it out of the first round and then Roddick was injured in their second round match.  For him to advance past the third was unexpected.

And that is what I know in the world of professional sports.  On a more personal level, I may be ready to test for my yellow belt on February 11.  I  have to double check to see that I have gone to enough classes to qualify.  On Saturday we spent a lot of class time going over and over the forms and that was really helpful and fun.  The idea of having to break a board is intimidating.  I have a few weeks to decide if I am ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment