For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Friendly faces

I had butterflies in my stomach as I approached the Embassy this morning.  That was not necessary as I was greeted so warmly.  My assignment changed this morning -- I won't be working on the visa line, instead I will be in the passport unit.  Assigning me to suit my strengths...I'm OK with that.  Starting Friday, we will be working in shifts.  For the first week I will take the first shift and then the next week I will move to the second.  The shift hours overlap, so it isn't as extreme as the second shift that I've been used to the past two months.  The third week has yet to be decided.  I am partnered with an FSO just out of his A-100 class and neither of us care which shift we work.  By the second week, if either of us has a preference we can decide between us what we will do.

The organization throughout all facets of our welcoming was amazing.  After getting our building and computer access, we were handed our own box that included a cell phone, note book, writing implements, paper clips, post it notes, Consular and date stamps, scissors, computer and glasses lens cleaner and white out.  I wanted to take a picture of it, so cute and tidy.  It was a perfect desk-in-a-box ever.

The walk from the hotel took less than fifteen minutes this morning.  It is a pretty walk with a mix of cute shops, cafes, homes and a couple of other Embassies.  I'm glad that the walk is short since I will be working shift hours.  One would think that since the distance isn't too far that my feet would have had no issue today.  After all, I've been wearing shoes all summer and running 3 miles without incident.  But no!  I limped back to the hotel this evening with four oozing blisters, thankful that I bought the big size travel first aid kit with lots of band aides.  What a mess. 

I don't plan on shelling out big bucks for Olympic events, but tonight I think I'll spend some time looking at the routes for the marathon and the bike races.  The beginning and end of those routes are for ticket holders, but miles of the race are open viewing.  I should be able to see something, if I can read the maps and figure out where to stand.  I think there is a cycle race this weekend and then the marathons are the following Sunday and then the last Sunday of the Games.  I have some time to plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment