For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Olympic mascots

I think I am correct in that there are two Olympic Games mascots, Wenlock and Mandeville.  All around the city they have decorated the mascots in different themes.  There is an article explaining it all here.  They are clustered into six walking tours.  After work tonight, I went on a section of the purple walk and saw eight out of the thirteen.  The figures themselves aren't super tall and they are photographer magnets, for myself included.

The Afternoon Tea Wenlock is outside the Canada House at one end of Grosvenor Square.  A kind tourist dad took my picture.





After dropping off work stuff at the hotel, I went down to Piccadilly Street by the Green bus/tube stop and nearby was the Queen's Guard Wenlock.



Then I went up Berkeley Street to Berkeley Square.  On one end was the Plane Trees Wenlock.  The close up of Big Ben is for my Lovey Lamb.




On the other side is Tyger Tyger Mandeville.




I walked along Bruton and Conduit Streets where there were flags up high, stretching on either side of the street.  I love flags.



At the corner of Conduit and Regent I found Groovy Wenlock.



Down Regent a ways the Linen Hall Mandeville was tucked into an alcove.  A family approached to take a series of photos at the same time I arrived.  Sensing a photo op, a Olympic volunteer holding a camera for a Japanese guy holding a microphone approached the young girl and began asking questions.  I waited until they left to get my shot.



Taking flag pictures as I went down Regent, I came across the next statue in Piccadilly Circus.  I found the Red Bus Wenlock and the Turkish and American flags in the same area.  I had to wait for an opening to photograph the Red Bus mascot because there was a line of people wanting to stand close, imitating "his" stride.







The last one of the night was across the street from Fortnum and Mason.  Oh dear, another opportunity to shop for tea.  But first, the Gemstones Wenlock, which turned out to be difficult.  Behind it was a big sign for cash and from another angle, recycle bins -- all intruding in the frame.  The prospect of more tea made the disappointing Wenlock a little less so.




In other news, the work day went well and my feet held up with the help of many band aides and sandals.  I should have brought the shoes I bought in DC last summer that are a size or two bigger than I normally wear.  I thought that they were too scruffy, so I left them at home.  But I need them for when my feet swell to pregnant lady status (without the benefit of actually being pregnant).

And speaking of pregnant or small children...working American Citizen Services affords me the opportunity to tell parents that their child is indeed, documented as an American.  I got to do that today.  It was a thrill last year and continues today.  It is a special interaction.  And I like looking at the cute babies, even though with the little girls, I feel a tug on my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment