For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Compliment?

At the lunch table today I was sharing my family pictures that I carry around with me.  After flipping through the book, my classmate asked, "Is the gray in your hair real or do you dye it for highlights?"  Her favorite picture was the one taken in Vienna two years ago right after I came out of the Turkish salon with my hair sprayed into a stiff up-do and my makeup a tad on the heavy side.  So I'm thinking it might not have been a compliment, but I'm not sure.

Speaking of fashion, why is it so hard to find a blouse or top that does not have ruffles?  I've been looking the past few days for something that is between a T-shirt and a must-iron button down blouse.  Everything inbetween has some sort of ruffle - at the neck, on the sleeves, across the chest.  Excuse me, but I don't need additional poofy fabric making me look even bigger than I already am.  I tried on so many tops today with no luck.  I did find a gorgeous pair of Coach black patent leather skinny heal shoes today at Nordstrom's Rack.  They were on sale, but not enough on sale for me to buy.  But man, were they sweet.

I bought two guide books and my metro/bus combo commuter pass today.  Tomorrow I might be able to come right home after training.  I think I have what I need right now.  The hotel has a laundry facility, so I don't need to go out for that.  I am going to need to be more focussed.  Tonight is my first with homework and we have our first exam coming up on Monday.  Since I'm not a Foreign Service Officer, I get one retest and if I don't pass after that, I'm out of the program.  Regular FSOs get to retake the class if they can't pass the test.  No pressure or anything.  

No comments:

Post a Comment