For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Monday, June 20, 2011

Learning Curve

I'm glad I heeded my intuition and did not wait for the hotel shuttle to take me to the metro station this morning.  Instead I walked the .8 mile to the Crystal City Station and was on the subway at 7:00.  I managed to transfer from the blue to the orange line and then get the city bus that stopped in front of FSI.  Including the walking, it took me a little over an hour to get to my destination this morning.  The bad part was that it was raining out and my feet blistered in my shoes.  I was way uncomfy the rest of the day.

The registration began at 8:15 and I was on time.  Just, on time.  I wore my black pinstripe suit dress and was not overdressed.  However, we can be more casual.  Not halters for the ladies (as if...), shorts or flip-flops.  Due to the blister situation, I may trek over in the forbidden footwear and at the last minute pull out the new sandals that won't rub when I get on campus.

I learned that FSI runs shuttles to a few key metro stops that will make my commute much easier in the morning.  Next up for tomorrow after training will be the grocery store.  I found that there is a Whole Foods on the orange line metro that seems like it shouldn't be too hard to find.  I need some tofu and fruit for the fridge.

I have a great room.  The hotel is new and the room is clean, spacious and really comfy.  It is furnished with dishes and a few pots and pans.  I'm looking forward to not eating out every night.  I have yet to visit the pool or fitness room.  I could move to a hotel closer to FSI, but I think I like this location.  My colleague from the Miami Passport Agency who is in the same training, is staying in some other extended stay hotel and he had to change rooms at 6:00am because his room had so many bugs.  No thank you.  I'll take my commute over bugs any day.

So, day one is in the books.  30 days of training to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment