For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Embassy Row

This morning  I took a walk along Massachusetts Avenue nicknamed Embassy Row.  I didn't stray too far and explore the side streets for the Embassies that are a block or two off.  I'll have to save that and the Embassies of Britain and Finland for some other day.  It got too hot for me to continue and I didn't have water with me. 

That was a walk that I could do over and over again.  I love buildings and these are some of the most interesting in a one or two mile stretch.  I had so much fun.  I took over 80 pictures.  I tried to get the country plaque but I wasn't always successful.  There was something about the Embassy of the Kyrgyz Republic that I took pictures of it when I was starting my walk and then when I came back.  It is bright white and the plants around the doorway are beautiful.  The Embassy of Estonia is really cute.  The front facade is very narrow and then the building expands out.  I called Nedim when I got to the Embassy of Turkey.  There is a big statue of Mustafa Ataturk in front.  It is too bad that they have big iron gates protecting their entry way.  I couldn't get a close up shot of their doorway. 


Embassy of Kyrgyz


Embassy of Estonia

Embassy of Turkey

Me in front of the Embassy of Turkey
Of the non-Embassy buildings, the Islamic Cultural Center was a standout.  The doorman let me into the courtyard, even though I was wearing shorts.  I felt awkward, so I took a few pictures and left.  Next time I'll be wearing pants so that I can go in and see the tile work.  The other building that I found stunning was the Turkish Ambassador's Residence.  What a building!  Their ambassador is a lucky man.  I just loved it.


Islamic Cultural Center

Architectural Detail

Turkish Embassy Residence

Residence Entryway


Next time I will have to start out earlier or go on a day that isn't so warm.  By the time I got to Rock Creek Park, I was dragging.  I walked on to the Italian Embassy and Embassy Brazil, but that was it.  I had to turn around.  And I missed the Embassy Finland which is supposed to be very impressive in its modern design.  Next time...

I walked back to Dupont Circle and couldn't find anything to eat.  Most places were still serving brunch at 11:30 and I didn't feel like that type of food.  I stopped into a CVS and bought more band aids and a bottle of water.  I walked down P street and stopped at a bus sign.  There was a guy waiting for the bus who was carrying a Department of State bag.  That was all the opener I needed.  I asked him if I was at the right stop to get to Georgetown.  I was.  He got off the bus at my stop and told me how to get back to either the Rosslyn or Foggy Bottom Metro stations.  So helpful. 

I felt really out of place in Georgetown.  I wasn't wearing Gucci loafers or any other high end foot wear or clothing.  Designer preppy I am not.  I did enjoy seeing the shops and the different architecture, but I didn't linger.  I walked down Wisconsin Ave to M St, then over the Francis Scott Key Bridge to the Rosslyn Metro. 

Back at the hotel today I did laundry, swam in the tiny pool and enjoyed a few minutes in a lounge chair on the poolside terrace.  I bought my plane tickets home for next weekend and have spent some time putting captions on my pictures.  Now it is time for some fruit salad and reviewing for my big test tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment