For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

One day closer to home

I used the hotel gym this morning for the first time.  Since I was going to State this morning and could use the hotel shuttle to the metro, I decided to get up at the same time and use the treadmill to compensate for the missed walk.  I enjoyed starting my day that way.  I would rather sweat while trying to push my body on purpose than just standing still outside in this oppressive heat and humidity.

The meeting with the program coordinator went well.  I'm a step closer to knowing when I will be going overseas.  He wants be to leave between mid-August and October for at least a month.  Now I have to coordinate with my office and of course, the family and Selim's new school.  Once I have a time frame of when I can go, that will determine my options. 

Today we started a new training module with a new instructor.  He is great.  He speaks clearly and stops and asks if we are OK before moving on.  The material is mostly new and it is complicated.  I appreciated his mantra of "No shame, no shame, ask.  Are we good here?  OK, moving on..."  He said that it would be understandable if we were a bit unsure up until Friday lunch.  But if we still were confused, we could ask to meet with him for extra help.  Nice to know it might take a few days for the information to sink in and be comfortable with it.

On the way home today there was a farmer's market going on a few blocks from the metro.  Oh my.  The produce looked so beautiful.  In retrospect, I should have bought a couple of cukes and tomatoes, but I was too hot to think clearly.  I did buy some berries and cheese crackers.  I passed on the hand made cheese, artisan breads and jam that were also appealing.  One vendor said that he is there every Tuesday.  Maybe next week I will bring my shopping bag.  I wonder what is happening in my garden.  Only three more days and I will see for myself!  Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment