For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Hot and Humid

When the alarm went off at 5:20 and I heard it was 77 degrees in DC, I knew I was in for it.  I'm just not used to this level of heat and humidity this early in the morning.  When I started my walk to the shuttle at 6:30, it was already 80 out.  Really, is this necessary?  My feet are better today, but they are swollen, bleeding from blisters and I'm crabby about it.  Usually, I love my feet.  But not so much now.

I've been asked about pictures, so here are a few.  The first ones are of the hotel -- the kitchen, sleep area, and outside.





The next group in of the Foreign Service Institute.  Apparently they have a Canadian geese problem because they have these fake foxes all around.  I don't think they are doing the job effectively because I have seen the geese everywhere.  The campus is quite large.  I haven't been to all the areas.  I usually hang out in the courtyard by my building, or in and around the cafeteria tables. 

Cafeteria

Congen courtyard
FSI Building
 


I had a fun lunch today.  I was outside at a table by myself and after a few minutes, three ladies joined me.  Two are Foreign Service Officers and one works for US AID.  They are all in language training.  Soon they will be headed off to  Cape Verde, Guayaquil, and Mozambique.  They provided a lively lunch time conversation.  All three of them were eager to get to their new country.

Today I didn't do anything extra after work/training.  I just came back to the room.  I wanted off my feet and not to be carrying around my bag that contains my program folder, a notebook binder with case studies, journal/notebook, wallet, extra pair of shoes, camera, sun and distance glasses, water bottle, lunch sack, gum, pens, metro map, and lipstick.

The first day we were lectured about not writing/sharing any information  regarding what we are actually studying.  So I won't be sharing any of that information.  Just thought I would put that out there now.  But I will try to keep in touch by talking about the other aspects of life down here.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here in So CA, it's the opposite: June gloom, sweatshirt weather at the marina, sunny and 80s a few miles inland.

    xxoo
    H

    ReplyDelete