For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Monday, July 18, 2011

Final Countdown

I kept saying to Selim over the weekend, "only 2 weeks left."  That's all I have left, two weeks and one day and then I will pack my bags and head home.  I can't wait.

We had such a super weekend.  Saturday morning Selim tested for his green belt in karate.  He was scheduled for the Tuesday evening class, but since both Nedim and I were there, Selim got to test after class.  I love watching his class.  There is something so moving about watching him concentrate so hard and learning the complicated forms -- I just love it.


High block


Before breaking the board


Broken board


New belt
 We also went blueberry picking.  We picked 5.5 pounds in under a half hour.  That was pretty good considering how the temperature was rising and sweat was running down our backs.  I managed to freeze them before flying down Sunday afternoon, so our freezer is full for the winter.  Coming next, peaches!




And we went swimming at the UNH outdoor pool for three hours.  Selim is swimming without a life jacket!  He has been working with Robert this summer and has gradually become more accustomed to having water in/on his face.  I am thrilled that he is gaining in confidence and is able to get his face wet and take a few strokes without putting his feet down.

Sunday afternoon I had to fly back.  So sad!  We left a bit early because I was afraid we might run into the NASCAR traffic leaving Loudon.  Traffic was fine and we got to the airport in time for me to catch the earlier flight to Baltimore.  That ended up being a good thing for me because the whole airplane, bus, metro, other metro, hotel shuttle took almost four hours.  I got back to the hotel just before 8:00pm.

Today was a big day at training.  I passed my third test!  The tests should be easy, in theory -- they are open book, notes, power point slides and open computer resources.  The questions are multiple choice and I only have to get 20 out of 25 right to pass.  Add in I get five questions to ask our policy instructors and one might think that I am nervous about nothing.  But I'm tense before hand anyway.

To celebrate my successful test taking, I spent two hours wandering around Arlington Cemetery.  In retrospect, that might not have been my best decision considering how hot it was, but since there was a slight breeze and it is the coolest day of the week, I went.  The cemetery is quite large, hilly and easy to navigate.  Unfortunately, I ran across an over zealous park ranger who yelled at me to get off the grass when I was getting a closer look at the stones of the former Supreme Court justices.  I wasn't doing anything bad. That section is free of "stay off the grass" signs.  The map/brochure states, "Wander through the cemetery, stray from the paved path, look at the names, and remember."  I wasn't trying to be disrespectful by getting a closer view.  When she yelled at me I got really embarrassed.  There were lots of people around and everybody was so quiet that I'm sure the ranger was heard by all.  That colored the rest of my afternoon.  I couldn't shake it off. 

I did see the Kennedy area.  The crosses for Robert and Edward Kennedy are so moving in their simplicity.  In front of the flame are the markers for John F. and Jacqueline Kennedy.  To the right of Jacqueline's is a simple marker that says "Daughter" and the date.  Reflecting on that loss I realized that simple marker is what I need to have made for our first baby that we lost.  Back in 2003 Susan said that I could put a marker in the Ashram cemetery for Bebek.  I never did.  Two years ago when I was talking with Ann the therapist, she suggested that to help me move on emotionally, I should create a space where I could go and remember that loss.  I didn't do anything then, either.  Today, I stood there in front of that simple marker and in my mind I could see the one that I will have made.  It will say "Bebek, October 14, 2003."

 I walked up to the Pam Am Flight 103 Memorial.  It is made from Scottish stone and oddly, all by itself, by Ranger Station and Library.  The Space Shuttle  Columbia, Space Shuttle Challenger and the Iran Rescue Mission Memorials are all right next to each other.  I remember the Iranian Hostage Crisis.  I don't remember the failed rescue.  I do know, however, where I was exactly when the two space shuttles were lost.  The the Challenger, I stepped out of the dishroom in Ham Hall at Mount Holyoke.  Our supervisor let us take a break and watch the event on TV.  For the Columbia, I was in Beju in Portsmouth trying to find something to wear to the DECCO party, and waiting for Nedim to finish his plumbing class. 

Today, I watched the sentinel pace the 21 steps alongside the Tomb of the Unknowns.  But mostly, it is the accumulation of headstones that inspire the most awe.  Row after row of headstones marking those who served our country and at times, their immediate family members as well, is an amazing sight.  There are sections and grave sites that I didn't get to -- the current war heroes, Medgar Evers, the Beirut Barracks Memorial and the Women in Military Service for America.



Pan Am Flight 103 Memorial



Tomb of the Unknowns
I would like to back when I am wearing better walking shoes and when I am not replaying the "Lady, get off the grass!" comment hours after it happened.  I would also like to go tomorrow or next Tuesday to the Marine Corps War Memorial for their evening performance.  I wonder if it will be just too darn hot tomorrow?

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're making the final countdown, and finding time to see so much despite the heat. Dentist for us yesterday. I have to go back for a crown next week, ick. Today's big chore: laundry. Congrats on passing the test, too!
    xxoo
    H

    ReplyDelete