For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Photo day

Had a great day today.  I started out taking a photography class with this group in the morning.  There were eleven of us in the class and we started out in Lafayette Square.  The first 45 minutes our instructor went over ways to make the most of our cameras and how to frame shots.  Our first assignment involved taking a photo of the statue of Andrew Jackson.  We were supposed to get just the statue, not the pedestal, the cannons at the bottom or too much of the trees.  This is my best for that purpose:


From there we hopped into cars and drove down to 22nd and Constitution Ave to walk to the Vietnam Memorial.  We didn't take pictures of the Memorial, instead we were assigned to photograph the statue of the three soldiers on the south side.  This time we were to get as close to the faces as we could.  It wasn't easy considering how many tourists were also there.  We weren't shy.  We got right down on the ground and followed the instructions of getting "down and close."  These are my best:




Next up -- the Korean War Veterans Memorial.  I hadn't seen this memorial in my explorations.  I'm very glad I didn't miss it.  Originally the Field of Service was to have 38 figures representing the 38th parallel.  Instead the designer made 19 and placed them so that they reflected against a shiny black granite wall, creating the 38.  Our instructions were to get close up of the faces, or frame the scene using the trees.  The faces are haunting.  Here are the ones I think reflect that:






We got back in the cars and went to Union Station.  I wasn't able to capture the slow speed shot at the end, I'm not sure how I goofed that one.  But I will look at my manual and practice the inside without flash shot.  That was the end of the class.  I'm very happy that I signed up.  I learned how to use more of the features my camera has and more about framing a shot.

Since I was hungry, I hopped on to the Circulator and went up to the Turkish restaurant, Cafe Divan, in Georgetown.  OMG.  Best meal this summer.  The food wasn't too spicy or vinegary.   I had two appetizers comprised of feta cheese, lentil kofte, dolma, hummus, sigara borek, and falafel with tahini sauce. I finished off the meal with Turkish tea and baklava.  I lingered over the tea and dessert.  My body cooled down after spending so many hours out in the 100 degree heat.  A great repast.  I'm trying to figure out how I can get back before I leave.  This is what the meal looked like:



Then I got a little stupid.  In my room I had mapped out the way to see the rest of Embassy Row that I missed the first weekend I was here.  From there I could walk north to the National Cathedral.  In theory,that walk would have been fine.  But not on a 100+ day, and not when you miss the road and end up walking down the big hill and then all the way back up.  I got too hot.  I had drunk two of my three bottles of water in the morning and on a full stomach, I made a poor choice to carry on with my plan.  I should have just hopped on the bus and gotten back on the metro.

But since I didn't, I was able to see the Kahlil Gibran Memorial Garden, the British Embassy, the Norwegian Embassy (see this link) with flowers and notes stuck to the fence offering words of sympathy and support, the Iraq and Cape Verde Embassies and the Buddhist Center.  At the top of the long incline up Massachusetts Ave sits the National Cathedral.  I was so  hot by the time I got there that my fingers were going numb and cold.  I went inside, grateful for the coolness, a drinking fountain, and the rows of chairs that allow weary visitors to rest.  When I felt not so woozy, I got up and marvelled at the beautiful stained glass windows.  After that, I was done.  I got on a bus and rode down to the Foggy Bottom Metro and came back to the hotel.  The sign said 102 at 5:13 in the evening.  Unbelievable.


Norwegian Embassy



Front door of the Iraq Embassy
 
Buddhist Center




The hotel shuttle bus driver looked at me and suggested that I get ice and orange juice.  I got the ice, a long, cold shower and coke.  I think I'm going to take it easy tomorrow.  I have some reading that I need to finish and laundry for my last week.  The instructor gave us a handout that lists monuments and memorials to see in the evening.  I may head out tomorrow after the worst heat of the day and take some pictures in the golden light of sunset.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for sightseeing, great food, and photography classes, boo to heat stroke! Stay cool, hermana.
    xxoo
    H

    ReplyDelete