For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Last Sunday in DC

I started sorting through all the stuff I have accumulated in the past six weeks.  I don't think I have to buy another suitcase, but I am sending home two small boxes with books and study material.

I went out today after noon.  I took the metro to Dupont Circle and walked up to the Textile Museum on S Street.  On the way I got to see a decorated elephant and some of the Embassies that are not right on Massachusetts  Ave that I had missed my first weekend here.  I also bought the greatest drink ever - a chai shake made with cinnamon ice cream as its base.  Yummy!


The Textile Museum is small, and worth the trek.  Currently they have two exhibits, a Second Lives: the age-old art of recycling textiles and Green: the color and the cause.  There were pieces that I enjoyed in both.  The quilt made from fabric scraps made in Afghanistan was stunning.  There were many pieces from India and Persia that were so beautiful.  They have an interactive area made up of textile making stations - looms, sewing and needlework.  Very clever way to introduce the various methods of textile craft.

After that I walked and walked, taking pictures of doorways as I went.  I had a great time going through neighborhoods and photographing doorways.  I ended up back at Cafe Divan for another stellar Turkish meal.  I caught the Circulator back to the Foggy Bottom metro and came back to the hotel.

I really enjoyed the day.  I love looking at buildings.  Some of my favorites of the  diplomatic variety included the Embassy or Ambassador's Residence of Cyprus, Haiti and the Netherlands.




Having a digital camera is a blast.  I took 112 photos today and didn't have to worry about wasting film as in days of yore.  I liked the small, tidy facades of the row houses in Georgetown.  Some have flag decorations, others flower boxes,  big flower urns or even a bear statue.  The houses are painted yellow, blue, green, white and brick.  The doors are also a variety of colors.  Some are set in archways, with columns or iron work and others framed with straight moldings.  Visually, so pleasing.








Tomorrow I have my last exam at 8:15.  Then I have another lecture or two.  Tuesday is wrap-up discussions with graduation at 3:00.   At 6:30 I will be on a plane heading home, inshalla.

No comments:

Post a Comment