For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Are you the Ambassador?

Yesterday as I was returning from lunch, I got buzzed through the security guard at the same time as another woman.  As we were walking up the steps to go in, she turned and asked me, "Excuse me?  Are you Ambassador Connelly?" 

Apparently Ambassador Connelly who serves in Beirut was expected at the Embassy.  And my badge is different from the locals' so I got asked the question.  I was amused.

I'm slowly learning the ways of the section I'm in.  I understand better the rhythm of the day and can anticipate the shifts.  The morning is turbo charged and the afternoon slows down.  I'm not used to working 8:30-5:30 -- going even later than I did at FSI.  I appreciate my regular 5:30-2:00 schedule much more now that I realize what a luxury it is to be able to start that early.  There isn't much time to do stuff when you start later and get out later.  The hour lunch is is nice, but I would rather get out a half hour earlier.

After dinner, Selim and I took a little Mother/Son walk around the neighborhood.  I didn't realize at the outset that our destination was a souvenir shop where Selim had seen a golden Big Ben key chain that he coveted.  The store is right by the Baker Underground station.  We will probably go back since it has a great mug collection.  I was very impressed that Selim has learned how to navigate the area so well in just a short amount of time.  He led me right to the store.

It looks like Saturday is going to be sunny.  We have to plan our activities carefully as it is supposed to rain on Sunday.  And yes, I have succumbed and bought an umbrella.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a bit surprised that Selim knows his way around the neighborhood already! Takes after his mama, eh what?

    xxoo
    H

    ReplyDelete