For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Monday, August 15, 2011

First day

I set two alarm clocks this morning, just to be sure I would wake up.  I took a four hour nap yesterday afternoon and woke up at 8:00pm.  Not the best timing.  I dozed off and on, watching golf until midnight when I made myself go to bed. 

This morning was London chamber of commerce weather - 60 degrees and sunny -- a perfect day for a walk to work.  I got there in time to change from sandals to heals, catch my breath, and take in the beautiful scenery.  I wore the right outfit, not a full suit, opting instead for my 3/4 length black suit jacket and tweedy skirt.  It was comfortable, not too dressy and I fit right in.

The first day went well.  I have a lot of names to remember.  Everyone was very helpful and friendly.  I get a few days to observe and train before diving in and working at my own station.  I can relax knowing that they don't expect me at my own window right away.

At lunch I went out and bought a sandwich and chips and took it back to the park next door.  The sandwich was avocado, tomato, mozzarella, basil leaves and pesto, toasted on a crusty bread. If it wasn't so caloric, I could eat that every day.  On my walk home tonight I bought pasta and sauce for dinner.  Nice to know that I can survive without blowing my per diem.

I need to clean up the kitchen and head off to bed.  I have a feeling that I will have a harder time getting up tomorrow.  The second full day is always the worst with the time difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment