For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Home alone

I'm sitting down on the couch, US Open Tennis on the TV with a cup of Fortnum and Mason Earl Grey Classic Decaffeinated tea and a shortbread cookie, proud of myself that I made it through the day without crying.  I really missed my guys when I walked to work.  I've been accustomed to the family banter, holding hands with one or both of my guys,  and getting hugs and kisses at the corner of the Embassy before I go in.  Today the blocks seemed to take forever and I missed the hugs.

The day passed by quickly.  Unfortunately, I bought the wrong size tights and didn't realize until I was about six blocks down the road this morning.  And I had been so pleased with my outfit.  I brought the dress from home but hadn't worn it yet.  I paired it with my black and white sweater jacket, the tights and my knee high boots.  I was less than thrilled when I felt my tights slipping down before I even got to work.  I spent the whole darn day trying to inconspicuously hike back up the tights.  Argh, sigh, swear word.

I ate lunch at my favorite cafe/sandwich shop and wrote postcards.  I'm not sure how long they will take to reach the US.  I had a chance to send them via US pouch or Royal Post and I opted for the Royal Post.  I've been here over two weeks and those are the first I've sent.  I usually don't eat at the cafe, but take my sandwich to go and take it to the park.  But it looked like it might rain any second, so I opted for a table under their awning.

After work I went in search of a larger grocery store.  I thought I had copied down the address correctly to a store in Marble Arch, but when I got to the address, it was some fancy bank.  I ended up taking the bus to Greater Portland Street and finding the market there.  It wasn't as large as the one in Camden Town that Vinny took me to on my first day, but the selection was bigger than the corner market one block down from my flat.  I bought fruit, bread, pasta, lettuce, and lentils and potatoes for soup.  I managed to carry it all back to the bus and then home.

I hadn't been in the flat for more than ten minutes before I got a call from home.  Yeah!  Selim, Mom and Nedim had taken Selim to meet his new teacher and get a feeling for the new school.  From their reports, it seemed like it went well.  I am still having trouble believing that my lovey lamb is starting first grade.  He is such a big boy and growing up.  Luckily he has only two days of school before taking four days off for Labor Day weekend.  His body is going to need some time to adjust back to east coast time.  I'm glad he doesn't have a full week ahead.

This tea is so good, I'm going to have to return and buy more.  When we were little and returning back to NH after being with Dad in Laguna, I remember putting tortillas in our suitcases because the markets close to home didn't sell them.  This may be like that, only with tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment