For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Monday, August 22, 2011

Riding the bus vs walking home

Last night while Selim was in the shower he starting singing to himself, "After tomorrow seven more days."  That seems to be an indication of his mindset.  Although today he had a good time at the zoo.  He saw penguins and flamingos, two of his favorites.

Meanwhile I had a very satisfying, if not nerve wracking day.  I got put on the interview line first thing and worked non-stop until I broke for lunch.  I don't actually work non-stop in that I'm asking questions of my line supervisor every few minutes, but I didn't take a snack break or do any other task once I logged on at the window.  When I returned from lunch it was back on the line.  It wasn't until 2:30 that I stopped and began doing system work that doesn't involve talking.  It is really intense for me.  It isn't natural yet so it takes a lot of energy to keep doing it.  I feel grateful that they have expressed confidence in me to put me out there.  When I left today, I got a few, "Thanks for helping us out today."  I think I did help and that feels good.

I got my schedule today for the rest of my stint and I will be moving over into the American Citizen Services and Immigrant Visa sections before I go.  I appreciate the opportunity to train in all the Consular sections while the training is still somewhat fresh in my mind.

Most nights I walk home.  Today, Nedim and Selim had scouted the bus system out and when I called to check in at 5:30, Nedim told me what bus to catch.  So, like a local, I hopped on the bus and got dropped off just a block from the flat.  I had carried my umbrella because rain was in the forecast, but I didn't need it.  I like the walk so I'm not sure that I will ride on days when my family isn't here waiting, but it is nice to know that option exists.

Tonight the Superman movie with Christopher Reeves was on the TV.  Selim and I watched it while playing cards.  I haven't seen that movie since it came out.  How our fortunes can change in an instant.  So sad to think of all the years he was paralyzed when you see his image, full of vitality, up on the screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment