For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Blisters return

I thought I had left all my foot trouble behind in DC, but no!  I wore new shoes yesterday and only sported two new blisters at the end of the day.  Today I wore my comfy knee-high boots and my feet were in pain by the time lunch rolled around.  I was wondering how slowly I would have to walk home tonight when I exited the Embassy.  But I was in luck because Nedim was waiting outside for me and his brother and car were parked right across the street.  I have no idea what shoes I can wear tomorrow that will be comfortable.

It was so sweet to see my guys last night.  We didn't sleep so well because of the jet lag and unfamiliar surroundings.  Selim woke up at 1:00am and needed a cup of warm milk before he could fall back asleep.  And that wasn't an instantaneous fix.  Around 2:30 I was getting a little panicky about the whole situation.  Eventually we all fell back asleep.   Much to my surprise, they got up with me and walked me to work.  My heart was so full.  I will be very lonely when they leave.

I had another good day at work.  Today I had my first interaction with applicants.  My line supervisor went easy on me and gave me three cases that were routine.  I told her I felt like I was jumping off a cliff before the first applicant got to my window.  But once I was engaged in the conversation, the whole process made sense and I was able to navigate the computer system and keep eye contact.  I think I did OK.  I'm glad not to be so anxious about it all.  Tomorrow and every day after will get easier.

Tonight we went grocery shopping at the corner markets.  We picked up the essentials -- watermelon, cukes, tomatoes, carrot sticks, pasta, pesto, and juice for Selim and I, with some chicken, garlic, and cumin for Nedim.  Since I had stocked up on breakfast food on Sunday, we should me good for the meals for the rest of the week.  Food is expensive in the hear of the city. 

It was nice to see Ogun today.  On the ride home he was saying that he had called his mom and hadn't told her that Nedim was with him.  So he passed the phone to Nedim and he got to surprise his Mom.  She was so happy to hear from two of her boys at the same time.  I also got to meet Ogun's girlfriend.  I had heard a lot about her two years ago when we went to Austria and he joined us, but had not met her until this evening.  We talked about doing something together this weekend.

As I type, Nedim is asleep and Selim is in the shower.  Thank goodness he got over his fear of water in his face this summer.  This flat does not have a bathtub, so we would be struggling to clean him off had he not learned to swim.  He didn't want me in the bathroom tonight -- he wants to do everything all himself.  He is growing up!

No comments:

Post a Comment