For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Friday, September 16, 2011

British Musuem

I walked to the British Museum after work today.  I don't like walking on Oxford Street at that time of day.  The street is so packed that it is hard to walk quick, quick.  Instead you end up going slow, slow behind hoards of people.  But I did make it and it wasn't too far.

I went there mostly to see the architecture of the new glass ceiling that is shown in all the guidebooks.  Of course, I tried to capture it with the perfect photograph.  Forget the treasures, I'm here to see the ceiling!





But I did feel compelled to see the Rosetta Stone and the Greek statues and parts of the Parthenon.  I think it is amazing how the sculptor was able to sculpt rippling fabric out of stone.  I could sense the drape.  And yet the piece is huge and heavy and there isn't anything light about it.  Really remarkable.





I also liked the lions from Turkey.  There were three that I saw -- one in the entryway and the other two guarding a staircase.





Lastly I went into the room with clocks and watches.  How could I pass that up, time obsessed woman that I am?  What caught my eye was a clock piece in the form of a ship.  I didn't quite understand how it worked, but it somehow made an alarm, clanking noise.  I just liked the figures in the crows nests.





Since I hadn't felt the need to see every piece in the museum, I went out for dinner at the Turkish restaurant right near by, Tas.  Tasty!  The interior was light and airy; the tables were very close together.  To my right sat a table of four that sounded Irish and that their friendship was of long standing.  To my right was a table of 5 who spoke a language I didn't recognize.  The table that I faced was a group of Turkish folks who were enjoying the food and each other.  Their table kept expanding as more and more people sat down.  When somebody new came, everybody would stand and shake hands and kiss, very sweet.  I ate half my meal and saved room for dessert.  I was not disappointed with their baklava -- three rectangles of pastry filled with pistachio shavings, rose essence, honey, sugar and butter.  Not cinnamon laden in a heavy syrup.  Just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment