For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Monday, September 19, 2011

Last Monday

I'm in total countdown mode.  I just can't wait to go home.  However, I think this will be a good week.  I've rotated back over to the visa side of the Consular Section and am working with the Immigrant visa group.  It feels like the right ending to my six weeks.  "We" gave out the golden ticket today to a number of qualified candidates -- the right to appear at a port of entry into the United States and present their qualifications to enter as intending immigrants.  The final decision ultimately rests with Homeland Security, but we have given the green light to get on the plane.

On my way home I went into Selfridges.  I have avoided the store thinking that everything is too expensive, so why bother.  Turns out that isn't true.  But it is a good thing that I had not been a patron before because that is five weeks that I haven't been tempted by one thing or another.  They have a fabulous china and table settings section and a food court that is outstanding.  I've passed by the food court every morning that I have walked to work, not realizing that it was part of Selfridges.  Had I known,  I would picked up more of their falafel salads (and chocolate, Turkish delight, cookies, bread, cheese...).

I need to start packing.  The handle on my carry on suitcase broke in Logan airport on the way over here.  I need to see if I have to buy a bigger suitcase to check through, or if I can made do checking the broken bag (because I am not carrying a bag that is meant to be wheeled through Heathrow) and just buy another tote to carry my tea cups.  I'm not risking breaking them in a suitcase.

And on a totally separate note, there are women that work at the Embassy that have a look that I wish I could pull off.  They often wear tailored jackets with less structured skirts, tights and totally kick-ass motorcycle boots.  I love the look and at the same time, realize that I would look absolutely ridiculous if I tried that combo.  I don't have the right hair color, flat stomach, belly button ring and/or swagger to make it work.  But the boots...I want. 

No comments:

Post a Comment