For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Home!

I'm home.  I left home on June 12, expecting to be gone one week.  Instead, I've been gone for 15 weeks with 16 days at home spread out during that span.  Now I'm home, with no travel plans in sight.  What a relief.

Checkout time yesterday was 10:00am.  There was someone coming in the afternoon, so I could not extend the time I had to be out.  Vinny was coming between 9:30 - 9:45.  I brought down my bags around 9:15 and was resting on the bed, watching the Solheim Cup when there was a knock at the door at 9:25.  It was the cleaning crew, wondering if they could start working.  I said yes and went downstairs to wait.



I lucked out at the airport.  I planned on checking two bags, one of which I knew was over any sort of weight limit.  In Boston, I had been told that I could check two bags for free and I assumed that would be the same on my return.  The lady at the check in counter told me that I had one bag, no heavier than 23 kilos that would be free.  I would have to pay for overweight charges since by bag was 31 kilos and I would have to pay for the second bag.  I asked her to double check, just because I had been told a different story on my flight over.  She looked, but didn't find anything that would exempt me from the two charges.  However, as she was processing my ticket, neither charge showed up.  She didn't understand why, but she told me to take my carry on bags and "run" before the charges appeared.  I took her advice, minus the running part; I pushed the cart with my two carry-ons and left the area.

I had to wait four hours at the airport, but it wasn't too bad.  The waiting lounge area was a prime people watching venue.  Can I just say that I don't get the Hello Kitty look, especially on grown women?  Especially with the pink Hello Kitty T-shirt is paired with red shorts, worn over black stockings/ pantyhose, black ballet flats and a jean jacket thrown over the shoulder.

Waiting in the gate area and taxiing out, I did get enjoy all the different airplane "tail" decorations.  Once on the plane, the flight itself was uneventful.  The flight was packed, every seat taken.  My row mates were quiet and non-fidgety.  A plus for a seven hour and fifteen minute flight.  I had a window seat, the best vantage for admiring the view.










On the approach, about fifteen minutes away from Boston, the think clouds that we had been flying over came to an end.  I could see the actual frontal boundary.  The line was quite distinctive.  Landing in Boston is always fun because it feels like we could land in the ocean.  The runway is that close.  I didn't have any issues going through customs.  As I was waiting to go through those big black doors I thought about the times when we would wait for Sant Ji to come.  There would be many devotees on the other side of the doors, just waiting for a glimpse.  Post 9/11, no airport would allow such a huge gathering, but at the time, it didn't seem like we would cause a security incident.  When I walked out, I didn't see my guys right away, but the "Mom!!!!" got my attention.  There they were, with a lovely bouquet of flowers. 







At last, we were in the truck, driving home -- through the tunnel, past the new bridge, and up 95.  During the drive I discovered that Selim likes Enrique Iglesias because he sang "Ring my Bell" and asked to hear it more than once. Too funny.  We made it home without incident and finally I was home.



Today we went out for breakfast and then I came back and took a two hour nap.  I've unpacked one bag and need to work on the others.  After Selim finished his lunch, we will go out and do something -- bike ride, take a walk or drive into Portsmouth and visit our favorite haunts.  I'm taking the next two days off to allow for chores, body time clock adjustment and relaxation.  I'm looking forward to two days at home without the anxiety of having to leave again.  I can replant my roots and get back to regular life.  I'm so ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment