For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Feels like Friday

Today I witnessed a good bye party for a boss like none other I had ever seen.  At 4:00 the Consular section basically shut down for a going away party for the outgoing Visa Chief.  She was the first to send me a welcoming email when I was still state side.  But since she is a few layers above me, I didn't interact with her much once I got here.   Apparently, that was my loss.  The party got very emotional.  Many people wanted to sing her praises.  She was applauded for her professionalism, compassion, attitude, innovation, sense of humor, dedication, and commitment.  All the accolades made me wish I had been able to observe her and learn.  To a person in the room, she is outstanding and just the boss you want.  Her replacement arrives next week.

Tomorrow is Volunteer Day at the Embassy in conjunction with the 9/11 anniversary.  We were given an option of going into work, or volunteering in a garden at Battersea Park.  I chose the garden project.  There will be about 80 of us out there tomorrow and the forecast is calling for sun.  I am excited to get to see another part of the city and do something physical.

On my way home tonight I walked a side street in between Baker and Gloucester that I hadn't before.  I passed by an Indian restaurant and in their front display was a huge mound of Parle-G Gluco Biscuits.  I made an abrupt turn and entered.  I asked the hostess if the biscuits were for sale.  She gave me a little odd look but told me that indeed, I could buy them at 1 pound a packet.  I bought two.  I'm now enjoying my after dinner tea and eating a few.  So tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment