For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Over the hump

Yesterday was my official half-way mark.  I'm on the short side now with only 20 days to go until I get real hugs and kisses from my family.  Woo-hoo!

Today was odd.  I woke up really early and couldn't get back to sleep.  It would have been a great day to go out, but nothing opens around here until noon on Sunday.  I had on my list a bit of clothes shopping, taking pictures by the Embassy of some buildings I like, and taking the bus back to Notting Hill gate to go to a bigger book store that might have a magazine selection.  I was irritated because I had seen on the weather that the rain was forecast to start around noon, just when I wanted to go out.

I felt like parroting my child by saying, "You are forcing me to be indecisive this morning because nothing opens at 10:00 on a Sunday.  It is your fault that I'm stuck in this flat at 11:00 and my day is half wasted."  Around 11:15 I went out to walk down to the Grosvenor Square.  I got three blocks down the street before the sprinkles came.  Undaunted,  continued and took a few photos of the doorways that I pass and enjoy.




I also took a few of the Embassy for me to have.  It is such an iconic building that I wonder if I am being silly by not posting pictures.  But I would rather be safe than sorry.  However, I think the eagle at the top is OK.  Security of the current building is a real concern.  I can see why the decision was made to move.  The US Embassy London website has posted the design for the new embassy.  That will be an amazing structure.  I hope some day I can come back when it is completed and get a tour.


Next up on my agenda was Marks & Spencer.  I really wanted one more work top and pair of pants.  The policy in that store is that you can bring eight items into the dressing room at a time.  I hit the max two times.  Besides pants, I thought I would try on a few skirts.  Not flattering, except for the really expensive one.  I ended up with one sweatshirt, pair of pants and nice top.  Satisfying to finally find something within a price point that I could stand paying.  The only drawback to that store is the temperature.  It had to be over 80 degrees in there.  I started sweating the moment I walked in until I stepped back out with my bag -- into the pouring rain.

The transportation fairies were looking out for me today.  I crossed the street, found the bus stop that I wanted, turned around and the bus arrived.  I rode it to Notting Hill gate.  I didn't have any luck in the magazine department.  And my purse size umbrella got flipped up by the wind and isn't as useful anymore.  But I was able to find the stop for bus #27 quickly and didn't have to wait long for the bus to arrive.

Language and accents are funny things.  I get on the bus and hear, "This is bus  #27 to Joke Farm."  I'm thinking Joke? No, York?  What farm?  At every stop I hear the same canned announcement.  It isn't until I realize at the front of the bus is a sign that displays the number, end destination, and each subsequent stop, that I realize the the announcement really says, "This is bus #27 to Chalk Farm.  I never would have guessed Chalk.  One would think that I would be able to understand English, but sometimes it is harder than it should be.

Since it was still pouring rain, I came home and ate lunch and read.  After a while the sun came out.  I decided to go out for dinner, but first I wanted to be able to hear by Lovey Lamb, so I waited until 5:45 when I was pretty sure he would be at Mom and Robert's and not gallivanting around.  He really is the light of my life and I miss him so much. 

Hungry, I set out to find some dinner.  I ended up at a Greek Restaurant off of Marylebone High Street.  There were quite a few people inside and a nice selection of vegetarian dishes.  I ended up ordering twice as much as I could eat.  I was too full for desert.  I took my left overs and an order of baklava home in a "take away" bag. 





On my way home I discovered a little park just a block or so away from the restaurant, Paddington Street Garden.  It lovely.  I passed a few families with kids running off their excess energy before bed.  I was surprised at how many people were in the park at dusk.




Tomorrow I'm planning an early start (yeah!) to a needlework shop in Kensington and then a visit to the Victoria and Albert.  My doctor appointment for noon was cancelled and I need to call first thing in the morning and reschedule.  The ear thing is wack -- some times it hurts so badly and other times I'm not aware of it at all.  The past few days, the pain has been very minimal.  I'm thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment