For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Yet more walking

I wasn't quite sure what I was going to do when I woke up this morning.  Part of me wanted to stay in bed because I've come down with a cold and I thought some rest might be helpful.  Instead I went with the less practical aspect of my personality and decided to pack as much into the day as I could.  I started by taking another one of the London Walks, this time out in Hampstead. 

Leaving the flat at 9:00 gave me plenty of chance to catch bus #27 which I rode out to Mornington Crescent where I switched over to the tube.  Hampstead was only four stops after that.  The group that went on this walk was less English speaking than yesterday's.  Most people were speaking Hebrew or Italian to each other, but asked questions of our guide in English.  People didn't seem to interact with anybody but the person with whom they arrived.

The walk itself took us through beautiful scenery.  We tramped all over -- through narrow passageways, over the heath, down into a vale and back into the historic village.  I took tons of pictures, more than was necessary.  The difference in this walk was the presence of nice gates with lanterns above.  Privacy is guarded in that neighborhood.  But, gates are cool.




We also had two places where we were high enough to get a view of the city of London.



The cat is for Selim.


After the walk, I took the tube down to Charing Cross.  I managed to get into St. Martin in the Fields before they started the service and took some interior pictures.  One picture I fiddled around with the settings and snapped one that had more light so that I could see the ceiling.  But it wasn't that bright in there.




When I got out, it had begun to rain. So I headed into the National Portrait Gallery.  Part way through, I realized that I would rather be outside than in, no matter how great the art.  I went up to the top floor restaurant and I took a few pictures of that stunning view.



When I got out of the gallery, it was sunny again.  I seem to be addicted to documenting statuary and fountains, so I continued on that theme.  I'm pretty sure that I had done this already with Selim, but apparently I can not have too many photos.  Several people asked me if I would take their picture, so I in turn, asked someone to take mine.



And then I just got silly.  I should have taken a bus back to the flat.  But no.  I hadn't yet walked through the Admiralty Arch, into St. Jame's Park and  along The Mall.  Right after I had gone under the Arch, a bridal party appeared and tried to hail a cab.  They had to wait for a while.  Not many vehicles seem to be allowed into that section of The Mall. 




When I got to Buckingham Palace, I realized that it is much easier to take in the Palace and the surrounding Queen Victoria Memorial when it is not the Changing of the Guards time, on a weekend, in the summer before Labor Day.  I was able to walk all around, yes, taking more statue pictures.






After I was done with that, I walked along the east side of the park up to Piccadilly and went east to Fortnum & Mason.  I climbed the stairs to the second floor and headed straight for the tea room.  I plopped down and ordered a cup of tea that came in its own pot.  How awesome is that?!


When I left, I told myself that I no longer had to document every single statue or building I saw that intrigued me.  That lasted about five seconds.  For some reason, the archway leading into the Royal Academy of Arts drew me in.  I'm glad it did.  There was this statue (I know...another statue) of a soldier depicting the American effort during World War I of the 42nd Rainbow Division of the Alabama National Guard.  On this 10th anniversary of 9/11 -- this one went straight to my gut.  It was the dangling boot that got me.  I've taken a lot of pictures of the feet and shoes of the statues that I have seen this summer.  But this foot wear was the most memorable of all that I have seen.




I kept walking west along Piccadilly at the edge of Green Park.  On the bus, I had circled the Wellington Arch at Hyde Park Corner many times, but had not been close up and personal.  At this point it looked like it would start raining any minute.  I used the underground walkways to get into the circle.  The walls are decorated with London historical scenes, really fun.


When I got to looking at the statues, it was hard to photograph them because of all the bird poop.  Pigeons were all over.  A police car raced by, sirens blaring, and all the birds took off at once.  Psycho moment and I decided to get out of there.


I walked up the east side of Hyde Park towards Marble Arch.  My feet were killing me but there had been something that caught my eye on the median of Park Lane and I wanted to get a closer look.  It started to sprinkle.  But I had come that far that I just couldn't get on the bus.  I found it, the Hand of God statue.  I loved it.




I had just crossed back over from the median when it started to rain in earnest.  I waited at the bus stop for the next bus that would go north out of Marble Arch.  The first bus #82 came and I asked the driver if he stopped at Dorset Square or Marylebone Rd.  It wasn't clear from the sign and I hadn't wanted to pull out my map in the rain.  He didn't understand English very well but said no.  Normally, a language difference wouldn't bother me.  But he was driving a public bus in an English speaking city -- and I was wet, tired, hungry and wanted to get back to the flat.  So I wanted him to understand what I asked.  I didn't get on his bus.  I waited... a few buses that were going either east or west at Marble Arch pulled up.  Then another #82 arrived.  I got on it, without asking.  Sure enough, it stops only one block from the flat and at both of the streets in question.

Tomorrow I got back to work.  I'll have to see if I can get in some museum time in the evenings.  Some are open one or two evenings during the week.  I should see if the Tate has late hours.  That is the one museum that is left on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment