For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Research

I've been pouring over my guidebooks tonight trying to decide if I want to try to take one weekend get away before I leave.  This weekend is my half-way point and I need to make a reservation if I want to go anywhere.  I looked at the Eurostar option to Paris, but the cheap seats are all booked through the next month.  Right now I'm looking at going to Bath.  One of the ladies at work said she had a fabulous weekend there.  The train ride is only 90 minutes and it is under $50.  I need to do a bit more research into the hotels before I make a decision.

Today was  my last day for my Non-Immigrant Visa rotation.  Tomorrow I move on to American Citizen Services.  I'm glad that I met a few people from that section already when I joined the big group for Emily's farewell lunch.  At least I'm not going in without any frame of reference.  But I will be sad to leave the great cast in NIV land.  They are really fun people to work with -- so helpful, kind, professional and welcoming.

Both Mom and Nedim called me earlier this evening to say that Selim is having a hard time.  He woke up early this morning, as his body has not adjusted back to east coast time, and was crying.  He was overwhelmed with school, tired, and missing me.  I wish there was a way to help.  My heart is breaking from the separation.  I'm bigger and have gone through many painful separations in my past, so I have a greater capacity to understand time and how this will end and we will be together.  But for him, time is still an elusive thing and he doesn't fully grasp the length of time apart and how quickly we will be seeing each other.

After school today he is heading back to the Ashram for the long weekend.  It will be so nice for him to be able to play with Jacob, be with the family and not have to be concerned with getting up and going to school.  He can swim, relax, and let his body get back to normal.  When he comes back, he will have a short week of school.  And then, it will be 10 days until I'm home.  The trick will be managing those last 10 days.  

No comments:

Post a Comment